Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What's Going on in First Grade....ALL sorts of Learning

Hello my friends!!! What a week, I feel like it should be Sat. but only Wed. night.  And the days have been jammed packed with stuff all through out the day.  I think it is because I am EXHAUSTED!!!!  Oh well here is what's been going on...Inferencing, Guided Reading Groups & we still have Groundhogs Day ( tomorrow) & the 100th day (Friday). 

So I purchased The Inspired Apple's  Snowy Day Inference Unit.  It was all sorts of fun for my kids & a great way to introduce inferencing.  We started by reading the book Suddenly.  Then the next day we read a story about Tim & Grandma.  The students needed to figure out what Tim & Grandma did on the snow day & where they were when mom came home at 4pm.  The kids did a REALLY great job with Inferring.  Here they are recording all their evidence.





Then today we did a time line & answered questions about what Tim & Grandma did.  I just wrote the questions on a flipchart.  Next year I will have a flipchart already made.



Then exciting.....exciting.......we have started to use TAG Readers during Daily 5 for Listen to Reading.  We have 2 TAG readers & 2 computers to use for Raz-Kids.  So much better then the walkmen to listen to books on tape.  I hated fighting with those things & not keeping battery life!!!!



Just a Work Work Drawer





Now we are at Guided Reading groups.....we are focusing on Main Character to help with comprehension questions. 





Some students have played Candy Land with Dolch waords, Nonsense Words & Addition Problems.  I have found these Candy Land games here.  They are awesome.....I can't get enough!!!!!






We have also started reviewing Long Vowels & Sparkly E.  I can't remember where I found the idea for Sparkly E but I LOVE it!!!!!  We sang the Sparkly E poem to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.  Then we incorporated Flippy Dolphin (decoding Strategy) to flip the short vowel to the long vowel when there is Sparkly E.  We also reviewed all long vowel sounds by sorting pics on the Activboard & I found a great video on Teacher Tube...I Like Apples & Bananas.  They change words to say the words using long vowel sounds.


Song to sing

Changing sit to site

tub to tube




Wow makes me tired just writing & recalling about the week so far!!!  I also seemed to make Comprehension Beanie Baby Posters.  It is on my TpT store. Check it out I love using the decoding & now Comprehension beanie babies to teach these strategies.  I will post pics of some posters this weekend:)


Hope everyone has a GREAT rest of the week.  Happy Groundhog Day.....not sure if winter will ever reach us:)  But I am just fine with that.....stay tuned to morrow for Groundhog Day activities & of course Fri for 100 Day of School activities.  I will say I do have the best 100day projects compared to year pasts.  Maybe they are all addicted to Pinterest like me. haha

Check back this weekend:)

No comments:

Post a Comment